Stellenbosch University (SU) seeks to embody a pedagogy of hope through knowledge pioneering scholarship. It has selected five themes from the international Millennium Development Goals on which to focus its mission and vision, and so create synergy between higher education and development and economic growth in a more comprehensive way.
The University has positioned itself to harness its expertise to assist in:
Faculties were invited to develop research proposals that would direct their expertise into achieving these goals. The result has been the formulation of more than 20 visionary academic initiatives focused on these development themes.
- Eradicating poverty and related conditions
- Promoting human dignity and health
- Promoting democracy and human rights
- Promoting peace and security
- Promoting a sustainable environment and a competitive industry